Rock and Water Central will be the organisers of the 2 day and 3 day workshops in WA from 2018EduSolutions will continue to run 1 day workshops and free presentations - further Information will be available soon.
The Rock and Water Program, developed by Dutch educationalist Freerk Ykema, offers educators a new way to interact with students through physical/social teaching. Physical exercises are constantly linked with mental and social skills. The Rock and Water program leads from games, simple self defence, boundary and communication exercises to a strong notion of self-confidence. The program offers a framework of exercises and ideas about how to assist boys and girls to become aware of purpose and motivation in their life. More than 50,000 teachers, spread over more than 18 countries worldwide, have trained approximately two million children and students. EduSolutions offers Rock and Water Workshops within Western Australia.
Topics include: intuition, body language, mental strength, empathic feeling, positive feeling, positive thinking and positive visualizing. Discussion topics include bullying, sexual harassment, homophobia, life goals, desires and following an inner compass.
- Practical Anti-Bullying strategies
- Self-respect,self-control and self confidence
- Communication skills and interpretation of visual body cues
- Alternatives to aggressive verbal and physical responses to fear and doubt
- Thinking and being in control, through grounding, centeredness and mental focus
- Boundary Awareness
- Developing more mindfulness
- Grounding, centering and focusing – Learning how to stand firm and relaxed. How to concentrate your breath in your belly and focus attention (first external, later transformed to an internal goal).
- The golden triangle of body awareness, emotional awareness, self-awareness – Emotions are expressed in the body by way of muscular tension high breath/ low breath etc. Therefore, increasing body-awareness can lead to more insight and experience of one’s own patterns and can offer a chance to deepen and further develop emotional awareness and self-awareness.
- Communication – The development of physical forms of communication as a basis for the development of other, more verbally oriented, forms of communication.
- The Rock and Water Concept – The tough, immovable rock attitude versus the mobile, communicative water attitude. This concept can be developed and applied at various levels; the physical, the mental and the social level. At a physical level it means that an attack can be parried by firmly strained muscles (rock) but also — and often even more effectively — by moving along with the energy of the attacker (water). At a social level — for instance in a conversation — it is also possible to choose between a rock or a water attitude and the same choice applies to the way in which one maintains relationships with others. Finally, at a spiritual level, the apparent opposites between rock and water disappear. Insight and experience come about when a realisation occurs that both ways are needed to reach self-fulfillment that people, in their deepest essence, are connected to each other and travel along a path together.
The Rock Concept
- Physical Rock Attitude: Muscles are strained, breath is down in your belly, body
is hard, and feet are rooted to the ground. Physical contact is met with hard resistance.
- Mental Rock Attitude: You go your own way! You may have exchanged opinions to come to your point of view but now you’re closing off from other ideas.
- Social Rock Attitude: You close off from opinions and feelings of others.
The Water Concept
- Physical Water Attitude: Muscles are relaxed but alert, breath is in your belly (your centre of action), and feet are in contact with the ground.
- Mental Water Attitude: Strong awareness of own feelings and ideas but there is also attention toward others. Self-confidence leads to introspection and exchange of ideas with others.
- Social Water Attitude: Communication and solidarity are at the centre of positive and cooperative relationships.